A Pair Of Louis XV Style Ormolu Three Branch Wall Lights
The very naturalistic acanthus branches and fruiting oak leaves issuing from a central scroll, shows the perfect understanding of quality and proportion and reflects accurately the Louis XV ‘pittoresque’ style in its purest form. This elaborate and ambitious type was executed by various bronziers in the 1740s and 1750s.
Especially, this model of wall sconces is characteristic for the fondeur of the Roi, Jean-Claude Duplessis (1695−1774).
Our fine elaborated model with its wonderful gilding from the second half of the 19th Century, is very close to a pair we can find today in the Wrightsman Collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, (F.J.B. Watson, The Wrightsman Collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, p. 415, figs 228 A and B). These wall lights can be dated exactly between March 1745 and February 1749.
There are existing also very similar wall lights, executed and signed by Jacques Caffiéri (1678−1755), sculpteur, ciseleur et fondeur of the King. For instance, he made a set of four wall-lights for Madame Louise-Elisabeth, Madame Infante, Duchesse de Parme, for the Palace of Colorno, near Parma, which she bought from him in Paris 1752⁄53. This set, together with a Chandelier, is now in the Wallace Collection (P. Hughes, The Wallace Collection, catalogue of furniture, vol. III, London, 1996, fig. 265 and 266).
Furthermore, we can find similar examples in Château Fontainebleau (since 1804; P. Samoyault, Fontainebleau, Pendules et Bronzes entrés sous le Premier Empire, Paris, 1989, p. 123, fig. 88).
This pair of wall lights, we present here, is a beautiful example of the elegance and perfect balance of the design in the 18th Century, executed of extraordinary quality in the 19th Century.
Restored with the utmost care in our inhouse-workshops, and newly fitted for electricity.