Viennese, “Jugendstil” Bench
Designed by Baron Franz Krauß (1865 — 1942 ), and executed by the renowned, Viennese manufactory Portois & Fix, as part of the awardwinning, Austrian studio concept for the Paris Exhibition, 1900.
This is one bench out of a pair included in Baron Franz Krauß’s concept for the spacious two floor studio with fireplace, completely constructed in elmwood.
This bench is made out of solid elm wood, with carved scrolling, and partly padded side elements with open parts; the back padded, and framed by a carved frieze.
This object is an excellent example of an elegant, clear “Jugendstil” design draft with just a hint of floral elements. The other bench belonged to the important Viennese collector Rudolf Leopold, and is today in the Rudolf Leopold Art Collection in Vienna.
Franz von Krauß was an architect and trained at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna under Karl von Hasenauer and Friedrich von Schmidt. In 1894, Franz von Krauß founded his own architectural office together with Josef Tölk. Success quickly followed for the two architects with more orders for important projects. Their projects included villas and apartment buildings in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Special buildings by the two architects included: the Franzensbrücke over Vienna’s Danube Canal, the “Volksoper”, together with the architect Alexander Graf, the Viennese “Bürgertheater,” which no longer exists, the Viennese Kammerspiele and the “Kurhaus am Semmering”, to name just a few. From 1908 Franz von Krauß was a member of the German Werkbund and from 1913 also a founding member of the Austrian Werkbund.
This bench is a very special object, impressively demonstrating the importance of Austrian architects and designers compared to the international competition at the Paris World Exhibition, rewarded with the bronze medal.
A rare opportunity for collectors and lovers of Viennese Art Nouveau as addition to collections and private homes.