A Pair of leaf-gilt Wall Appliques
Vienna around 1825
A pair of wall appliques, each one arm, stunningly leaf-gilt.
The wooden carved wall fitments with ornamental and Rocailles decoration, issuing the hand-forged, foliate embellished arms, terminating in blossom-shaped nozzles.
Originally made for candles, later fitted for electricity carefully.
Presumably, this pair of wall sconces is from parts in the Lombardy, Veneto or from Trieste, which was then part of the Empire of Austria as the Habsburg monarchy. A nice example of how influences of style and design existed transnationally in the great monarchies.
Leaf-Gilt Viennese Wall Lights H: 29 cm, W: 12 cm